Month 15: Travel Summary and Statistics

view of kadikalesi

Greetings from Cambodia!

Yes, I’ve finally returned to Southeast Asia and it’s SO good to be back!

At the beginning of the month I had one week left of my sailing trip around the coast of Turkey and I’m pleased to say that the rest of my time on board featured no nausea and very few incidents, which was a miracle! As somebody who frequently gets travel sick in swimming pools and hammocks, I was amazed at how quickly my body grew to adapt to all the rocking around.

Despite growing accustomed to life at sea, I was secretly a little relieved to be back on dry land again at the end of the week. However, I then had a new sensation to deal with.

Landsickness.

For the first time in my life, I preferred movement over stillness.

I spent the next few days recovering from the disorientation of every single thing in sight rocking violently around me in an amazing villa in Kadikalesi, just outside of Bodrum. It was the perfect place to catch up on work after two weeks offline and with views like this, it was one of the most beautiful places I’ve been in Turkey.

view of kadikalesi

After a week in luxury, it was time to figure for Dave and I to figure out where to go next. After throwing around ideas that included Rhodes, Santorini and even Cappadocia, we eventually decided to take the low-stress and easy option and head back to our favourite backpacker resort in Selcuk.

Yes, this was the lazy choice but it was definitely the right thing for us to do. After spending two weeks offline on the boat, both Dave and I had a lot of work to catch up on and after our Interrail adventure, we were craving slow travel and to stay put in one place.

However, we couldn’t leave Turkey without paying a final visit to Istanbul and I was so excited that I’d be able to check out some of the things I missed during my first visit.

I finally went inside Hagia Sophia and wondered what had taken me so long. It was incredible!

lauren at hagia sofia

I wandered around the Grand Bazaar avoiding the fluorescent Adidas tracksuits and taking sneaky photos of the gorgeous lanterns.

lanterns grand bazaar istanbul

I explored the Spice Bazaar and fought the urge to buy 127 different kinds of tea to carry around with me.

spice market istanbul

And then, sadly, it was time to leave Turkey and head to Southeast Asia and Bali!

Dave and I had friends staying in Nusa Dua so we took the opportunity to hang out at their resort and pretend to be luxury travellers for a few days. We met up with my friend Debby, who lives in Bali, and she spent a day showing us around some of the areas in Bali you don’t usually get to see.

We visited Pandawa Beach, where I got to see a seaweed farm for the first time, and Green Bowl Beach – a completely empty beach with hundreds of steps down a cliff to get to it.

Both beaches were beautiful and we saw no other tourists for the entire day. It was great to see a side of Bali that’s so different to disgusting Kuta. There wasn’t an Australian accent within earshot!

seaweed farm Pandawa Beach bali

Today, I left Bali and flew to Cambodia, where I’ll be spending the next few weeks.

Onto the statistics for the month!

Distance travelled: 14,575 km

Countries visited: 3

Turkey, Indonesia, Cambodia

Cities visited: 9

Kas, Kalkan, Fethiye, Kadikalesi, Selcuk, Istanbul, Ubud, Nusa Dua, Phnom Penh.

Number of photos taken: 2643

Number of flights: 5

Number of buses: 5

Number of boats: 1

Money spent:

Turkey: £595.45 over 21 days = £28.33/day

Bali: £155.70 over 7 days = £22.14/day

Cambodia: £30 over 2 days = £15.00/day

Flights: £369.94.

Total amount spent: £1151/$1846

The next month:

The majority of the next month will be spent exploring Cambodia! After spending a few more days in Phnom Penh, I’m heading down to Sihanoukville to get in some much needed beach time on the peaceful Otres Beach. I hope to visit Kampot and Kep at some point before jumping over to Thailand, where I’ll either be spending some time on the islands, exploring Sukhothai and Ayutthaya or heading straight up to Chiang Mai for Yi Peng!

Looking to follow along with my travels through my monthly summaries? You can read the previous month’s summary here, the next month’s summary here, or head on over to the monthly summary page to read from the very beginning!
Previous Why I've Fallen In Love With Budapest
Next War and Peace in Sarajevo

1. Micamyx|Senyorita
    October 20, 2012

Welcome back to Southeast Asia! :D Still hoping you guys pass by the Philippines again :D

• October 21, 2012

Thank you! I’m secretly hoping that too – I miss the Philippines!

2. Elle of Solo Female Nomad
    October 20, 2012

What incredible experiences in such a short time! The photos of the spice bazaar are equally impressive.

• October 21, 2012

Thanks, Elle! The Spice Bazaar was a highlight of my time in Istanbul. It smelt AMAZING!

3. DebbZie
    October 21, 2012

Next time you visit Bali, let’s discover other hidden places. By the way, the name is Green Bowl Beach :p

• October 21, 2012

Whoops, I knew I should have checked before posting it! All changed now :)

And yes, I can’t wait to explore more of Bali with you :D

4. Tash
    October 21, 2012

Wow, massively impressed with your daily budget at each place! Are you guys on a starvation quest!!??? Ha!

Hagia Sophia is so beautiful! Love the lantern bazaar photo, too!

• October 22, 2012

Haha, no. :) We usually stay at places that have a free breakfast, and eat at cheap street food stalls :)

5. October 21, 2012

Every time I read one of your travel summary posts I’m in awe at how little you spend when you jet around the world! How do you manage to spend so little on flight??! That’s amazing, I’m a Canadian living in Europe and know how cheap flights can be but the amount you spend seems to surpass even that!

• October 22, 2012

Thanks, Angela! It really helps when you have no fixed plans or dates in your future! I knew I wanted to be in Bali at some point in September or October – so I have 2 months worth of dates to check, so there’s always a few cheap flights! I also always fly budget airlines and I’m happy to have a ton of layovers and stops to save money. From Bali to Phnom Penh, I flew Bali -> Singapore -> Siem Reap -> Phnom Penh. It took all day but was only $100!

6. Jaime
    October 21, 2012

Congrats on 15 months! Ahh I love Turkey… oh & I don’t know why it took me so long to go inside the Hagia Sophia too. It really is amazing. I’m still a bit sad our paths didn’t cross there. We were so damn close…lol!!! Just means we’ll have to make it happen here in SEAsia. Enjoy the beach… i’m enjoying it here in Boracay.

• October 22, 2012

Thanks, Jaime! Yep, we’ll definitely make it happen here, and I’m so glad to hear you’re loving Boracay! :)

7. October 21, 2012

Good stats, looks like you’re right on budget, and with 5 flights in there I’m surprised its not higher, well done! :) And Cambodia is great, I spend a week in Siem Reap and I need to go back, I really liked being there… have fun!

8. October 22, 2012

Lauren, I just discovered you blog and I have to say I love it! I can’t wait to make my first trip to Southeast Asia!

I also really like how you track everything each month, keep up the good work!

9. October 22, 2012

Well done on 15 months – and I’m looking forward to hearing about your Cambodian adventures :D

10. Adrian@Travel universally
    October 25, 2012

The Grand Bazaar is so nice in Turkey. I could see those spices, such as chilly, Indian Saffron etc.

11. October 25, 2012

I JUST finished a week at Otres beach. It was amazing! Say hi to Chris and Jenna at Moonlight Rock for me if you stay there :)

12. Amanda
    October 26, 2012

15 months already… wow!

And seriously… how AMAZING is Hagia Sofia?!?

13. October 26, 2012

Great pictures of Istanbul, really shows off how vibrant it is. Have a great time back in SE Asia! :)

14. October 28, 2012

Turkey is one of my favorite countries, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Have fun back in SE Asia! I really want to get back there and explore more, I just didn’t have enough time there.

15. February 23, 2013

Just arrived in Istanbul, despite the weather, having a great time. Looking forward to discovering its delights, great blog. I just hope we don’t have any incidents!

16. Grant Lucas |iFly
    November 18, 2013

Asia will always be my favorite to travel. I have been traveling for quite sometime now, really looking forward on me getting a leave from work. I’ve been to a few places in Europe and in America but seems like Asia is hard to forget. Especially Thailand. Have you travel to the Philippines too? If you’re much into beaches and amazing views – Palawan and Puerto Princesa is definitely a beautiful one. Not just take my word on it – try if you have time. You won’t be disappointed. I will be back again there, probably the season of summer in the country.

• November 21, 2013

I agree. I’ve yet to find somewhere that had affected me as much as Asia has. Yep, I’ve been to The Philippines, and to Palawan. Loved it :-)