Seven Months of Travel: Summary and Statistics

My seventh month of travel was one of the best yet.

It all began with a crazy and epic road trip on scooters around North-East Thailand. Taking in Chiang Dao, Phayao, Phu Lang Ka, Nan, Phrae and Lampang, I got to see stunning landscapes, scary temples and amazing sunsets while sleeping on beds made of concrete, riding in what felt like below freezing temperatures in the morning, eating scary and spicy food, getting ridiculous tan lines and bruising my bum for weeks afterwards.

It was one of the best things I’ve done on my trip so far.

Mountains in Chiang Dao, Thailand

Lake in Phayao
Lake in Phayao
Wat Analayo, in Phayao
Wat Analayo, in Phayao

phu lang ka sunrise

nan wat

Sad to arrive back in Chiang Mai, I soon settled into my old routine of working, eating and not much else. It was great to relax for a few weeks but I was itching to leave by the end of the month.

Having said that, I still managed to squeeze some bug eating into my schedule – something I’ve always wanted to do since arriving in Asia.

I may look confident in the photo below but as soon as it was taken I completely freaked out, screamed and spat it across the room. It turns out that when I actually have a dead cricket placed in front of me I’m not as courageous as I imagined I would be.

eating crickets in Thailand

So, as usual, onto my statistics for the month!

I spent the majority of the month in Chiang Mai once more and here is what it cost me:

Rent: 4000 baht

Scooter Rental: 1250 baht

Food & Drink: 10,777 baht

Flights: 28,007 baht

Total = 44,034 baht = £906.

I’m shocked that this month ended up costing me three times as much as last month! However, it is for good reason. I had a sudden spurt of trip planning energy last week and decided to book all of my flights up until May!

The next month:

I am finally leaving Chiang Mai! It felt extremely bizarre to pack my bags this morning for the first time in three months, although I’m excited to start travelling again. I leave this morning on a train to Bangkok to meet up with Poi and Kirsty and we’ll be heading down to Koh Chang together for a couple of days. After that, I’ll be making my way to Bali for two weeks.

I can’t wait to finally get to a beach and spend some time, relaxing, sunbathing and learning how to dive (maybe)!

Looking to follow along with my travels through my monthly summaries? You can read the previous month’s summary here, the next month’s summary here, or head on over to the monthly summary page to read from the very beginning!

Previous A Scooter Trip Around Pai
Next An Awesome Day Out at Sentosa Island

1. Lia
    February 17, 2012

Congrats!!Soon you’ll reach 1 year!!The photo shocks me, I’m not brave enough to eating a bug! I don’t know that Chiang Mai is greater that I imagine! I’ll consider visiting there. Enjoy your following days!

February 18, 2012

Thanks, Lia! I wasn’t very brave either… But at least I managed to put it on my tongue, right?

2. Emily McManus
    February 17, 2012

The sunset photo at phu lang ka is BEAUTIFUL!!

February 18, 2012

Thanks, Emily! It’s probably one of my favourite photos I’ve taken so far!

3. Mike
    February 18, 2012

Some of my favourite photos so far

February 18, 2012

Thanks! :)

4. Someday I'll Be There - Mina
    February 18, 2012

Amazing pictures and wishing you goodluck on your coming travel plans. Sounds good ;)

February 21, 2012

Thanks so much, Mina!

5. Bula
    February 19, 2012

I can’t believe I missed seeing you eat a bug. Me, who has been there on this wonderful food journey of yours. Watching you eat your first bite of Asian noodles. Your first sliver of cheesecake. Come on, Lauren. That’s just unfair to deny me. When we meet up again, can you please eat something new in front of me? I have so many pictures of you looking horrified with food on Facebook. My friends have asked who you are now. You’re kind of famous. You weirdo.

February 21, 2012

Haha! And last night I ate barracuda! What has happened to me?! I promise next time we meet up I’ll eat something crazy like a fox for you.

6. DebbZ
    February 20, 2012

Wow…you’re visiting Bali soon !
    Please let me know if you need anything.
    I’ll be happy to help you :)

February 21, 2012

Thanks, Debbz! I can’t wait to visit Bali :)

7. Anonymous
    February 20, 2012

You probably missed the epic sunset of Boracay ha?It changes the color of the whole island.Boracay also has the best sunset in d world when really clear!

I love Thailand too and the temples, but i do think it is quite overrated compare to Philippine landscapes. Wait till you see Philippine landscapes all over.

Thai food though is so delectable and my fave ever!

8. Scott - Quirky Travel Guy
    February 20, 2012

Wow, great pics. I’ve been thinking about a trip to Thailand soon but I should really start making it happen.

February 21, 2012

You really need to, Thailand is amazing! :)

9. Changes In Longitude
    February 21, 2012

Hi Lauren,

Awesome pics of the countryside. I guess your bug-eating days are over!

Cheers!

Larissa and Michael

10. Nomadic Samuel
    February 22, 2012

That’s impressive! If you shave off your flights from that total you basically spent just over $500 for the month :)

11. Elly Earls
    February 22, 2012

Brilliant idea to publish your monthly stats – I arrived in Bangkok about a month ago to start my location-independent adventure (I’m planning to launch my own travel blog in the next few months) and have got a receipt spike at home so I can keep track of my spending too. It’s amazing how much cheaper it is than back home in the UK! Just wondering when you’re going to be in Krabi? My boyfriend and I are planning to head down that way at some point in March and it would be great to meet up if we’re there at the same time.

12. Alex
    February 22, 2012

If you’re learning to dive in Thailand, I hope you’re planning on coming to Koh Tao! Biased? Yes. But nothing else compares.

Email me if you’re considering it and I can give you all the info!

13. Ian [EagerExistence]
    February 23, 2012

Definitely learn to dive dude. Get your open water (at least). But I recommend your advanced so you can do some deep and wreck dives. I just got mine a month or so ago in Egypt. So awesome! So yeah, do it. Then invite me when you need a dive buddy.

• Ian [EagerExistence]
      February 23, 2012

ps. thailand is well-known for the best dive spots in the world (amongst divers). egypt is 2nd. apparently.

14. Mary @ Green Global Travel
    March 3, 2012

Your scooter adventure sounds amazing and the photos certainly prove it. Congrats on your 7 month mark and keep up the good work!

15. Laurence
    March 4, 2012

Really fabulous photos. The sunrise one in particular is so pretty, with the hazy surreal landscape. Love it!

16. Natasha @ Wandering Kiwi
    March 4, 2012

Stunning photos! I also love the misty morning shot of the valley. I’ve been to Chiang Mai and did the obligatory trek but never saw scenes like this, clearly I missed out!

17. Wanderplex
    March 5, 2012

Wow, I can’t believe you ate a bug. Or at least put it on your tongue long enough to get a photo. I would have been afraid that I’d be screaming & freaking out so much I’d accidentally swallow it, lol!

Oh, and I don’t think you spent all that much actually – your flights seem to have eaten into your budget the most, but transport always does.

18. cheryl
    March 25, 2012

Umm, amazing photos! Really like that sunset one especially.

19. Jo
    October 14, 2012

Impressive! Do you usually travel alone? I wonder if people feel lonely when travelling by themselves.

20. Agnieszka & Julien
    May 24, 2013

Me and my husband have been traveling in Thailand for about 6 months. You are right to say that it is incredible if you count the monthly budget and you realise that you didnt even exceed 1000 £, We had exactly the same budget, and when we wanted to save some money it was even smaller. Great photos and great blog, we wish you travelled the longest possible! Good luck!