Lauren Vs. Food: Squid (Yes, Really)

Lauren Vs. Food is my attempt at correcting my terrible eating habits and unwillingness to eat anything that looks strange or foreign by forcing myself to eat new and scary foods on my trip.

After having spent my first week in Croatia avoiding any kind of food that looked freaky or foreign, I met up with a friend, and I was finally forced to try something new…

Fried Calamari.

Shudder.

And so, of course, I decided to search online to see what calamari actually is, and was horrified to discover that I was going to be eating fried squids. Vaguely remembering what squids were, I then decided to search for pictures of them and became petrified that somehow one of their tentacles was going to end up stuck to my throat, causing me to choke to death. I’m sure it happens all the time.

I was definitely not excited about this experience.

But I’d agreed to do it, so I couldn’t back out now. We hunted down a restaurant which was entirely empty, so as not to scare anyone off with my shrieks of fear and horror.

I took a deep breath and ordered the calamari.

I gulped as they brought the plate to the table, and took a sharp intake of breath when I noticed the enormous, creepy tentacles wiggling around on the plate.

I don’t know what I expected, but I certainly wasn’t expecting them to look so…. Squidy…

After spending about 20 minutes freaking out and deciding I didn’t want to eat them anymore, I finally gave in and, well, here is the video evidence:

And so, as to whether I liked them or not, I was really unsure at this point. I discovered I did not like them if they were cold. Or if they had tentacles attached. I did manage to eat all of the non-tentacled ones without throwing up or crying, so I decided this was definitely a success.

Then, to my surprise, the very next evening I found myself ordering more fried calamari?!

I then carried on doing this for four consecutive nights.

I LOVED it.

So much so, that I even found myself gobbling up the ones WITH tentacles…

Mmmm… Tentacles…

And so, in the epic battle of Lauren Vs. Food, this time…

Lauren wins!

Previous The Cost of Travel in Croatia (2020): A Detailed Budget Breakdown
Next Views from Ljubljana Castle at Sunset

1. Toni
    August 11, 2011

You lost me at the word ‘tentacles’ – eeewwwwwww =D haha well done you hun!

August 11, 2011

They had suckers on and everything!

2. Chris
    August 11, 2011

oh the expressions on your face are priceless

August 11, 2011

I was just trying so hard not to spit it out!

3. Jennifer Nixon (@jenniferbnixon)
    August 11, 2011

LOL Lauren that video is so funny – the music just adds to the whole thing! Your very brave, I get freaked out if i accidenlty eat a green crisp!x

August 11, 2011

Arghhh, I HATE green crisps!!!

4. Mack Reynolds
    August 11, 2011

haha this is hilarious! i love how you’re looking around trying to focus on something other than the squid you’re eating. calssic! i love fried calamari.

August 12, 2011

Hahahaha, trying soooo hard to swallow!

5. Elle
    August 11, 2011

I’ve only had calamari once but I dipped it in marinara sauce so it wasn’t that bad. Granted…I never ordered it again after that.

August 11, 2011

Hahahaha I just used my coke as a sauce to wash it down!

6. Scot Baston
    August 11, 2011

Awesome! i’m really impressed.. Fish Head Soup next?

August 11, 2011

Hmmm… We’ll see? I’d rather steer clear of fishes….

7. Ayngelina
    August 11, 2011

The first time? Wow I am shocked but pleased to see that you are making an effort.

August 12, 2011

Tip of the iceberg.. ;)

8. Lauren
    August 11, 2011

When I forgot about the pictures of the squids I’d looked at and pretended I was just eating chips in my head I freaked out a lot less!

9. Jordan
    August 11, 2011

Congratulation! I’ve got a limited palate for food as well, it makes it very tough to travel. Keep up the fight!

August 12, 2011

Yeah, agreed! So far I’ve been fine, but I’m definitely not looking forward to Asia…!

10. Mike

Classic

August 12, 2011

Aren’t you impressed?! :D

11. Kris Koeller
    August 11, 2011

I don’t really care for seafood, but deep fry anything and I’ll give it a go.

August 12, 2011

Agreed, definitely couldn’t have eaten the grilled version…

12. Christy @ Ordinary Traveler
    August 11, 2011

You are braver than me! I won’t eat the tentacles. :) It may have something to do with dissecting a squid in junior high and then frying it up and eating it in class. Yuck.

August 12, 2011

What?!?! That’s AWFUL!

13. Caz Makepeace
    August 11, 2011

Calamari is one of my favourites!! i eat it with the tentacles. Next up octopus for you!

August 12, 2011

Ughhhhh, never!!

14. Annette | Bucket List Journey
    August 11, 2011

That was hilarious & love that photo with the tentacles! I’m along the line of thinking that anything deep fried is pretty darn good. I just had deep-fried lambs brain for my anniversary and even it was semi-tolerable!

August 13, 2011

Deep fried lambs brain?!?! Don’t think I could ever handle that!

15. George
    August 12, 2011

OMG loved this. I’m not a fussy eater at all I LOVE calamari in fact the tentacley bit is the best bit lovely texture. You will get used to it love the blog xx

August 13, 2011

Thanks! I’m semi-used to it now…. Ate it so much that I got fed up with it though and am avoiding it for a while!

16. eGichomo
    August 12, 2011

The music is a nice soundtrack to the facial expressions.. lol. I enjoyed the post.. eat! eat! eat!

August 13, 2011

Hahahahaha, argh, the facial expressions….. Not pretty!

17. Michael Hodson
    August 12, 2011

Time to hear more about the various (and more of them) … FOOD WINS!! Soon. ;)

August 13, 2011

Um, you don’t seem to have much confidence in me….

18. Bob Crunch
    August 12, 2011

Great article and congrats on the victory :)
    When I first tasted calamari I loved it. The thing was I wasn’t told it is really squid and I always complained that I hated seafood. Well my family really showed me that day. Now I am willing to try seafood before I say I don’t like it.

August 13, 2011

After throwing up a few times when having seafood, it is definitely something I try to avoid…!

19. Travel Post Roundup (Aug 14) | Budget Your Trip
    August 15, 2011

[…] Attack of the Killer Squids – Lauren vs. Food at Never Ending Footsteps […]

20. Bryan @ BudgetYourTrip
    August 15, 2011

Terrific! Calamari is one of my favorites. Just watch out for the little suction cups on the tentacles ;)

August 15, 2011

Don’t! That’s what terrifies me!!!

21. Nomadic Samuel
    August 18, 2011

Calamari, is simply awesome! I had it for my going away dinner last week. Congrats on being victorious :)

22. Theodora
    August 19, 2011

I’d really recommend you try octopus salad when you make it to greece. Tentacles in vinegar, oil and herbs (but chopped). Absolutely delish!

Congrats on winning your battle.

23. Heather
    August 20, 2011

Glad you liked it!! It’s something I’ve only started eating in the last few years. It’s often overcooked but if someone gets it right it’s beautiful.

Like the music :-)

24. Arjun Ray
    August 26, 2011

It seemed I was watching an episode of Fear Factor!! :D. It was hilarious!! Were you just swallowing the calamari with Coke!??! Its all about mind over matter honey!! OM.