I Bought My Backpack!

Lauren Juliff with her Osprey backpack

I’ve been searching for the perfect backpack for well over a month now – I’ve visited countless stores all across London and been unable to find “The One” and was beginning to give up hope! This weekend I was given a recommendation from a friend about an outdoor store near me with a good selection of backpacks so off I went!

I tried on lots and lots but none of them felt right, I don’t know – they felt uncomfortable and hurt my back.  That was until I tried the Osprey Exos 46l. As soon as I put it on it just felt right. It was SO comfortable and when I tried it on with weights in it was still perfectly manageable to carry. More importantly, it was an AWESOME colour and not ugly! I bought it for £120 which is similar to what I was expecting to pay and I get a full lifetime guarantee with it too. I’ve been looking at reviews online and literally have not been able to find one bad review on it, so I feel very pleased with my purchase.

I was originally hoping to buy a 40l, but I just couldn’t find any that I liked, and the 46l is small enough to keep me happy. I don’t expect to fill it completely when I leave, so I’ll still have some space in it for some souvenirs!

Once I got home I decided to try it out and carried out a “trial pack”, where I filled it up with my laptop, camera, lenses, clothes and lots of heavy books to make it weigh a lot. As soon as I put it on my back I was amazed at how lightweight it still felt. I have no upper body strength whatsoever and I’ve constantly had this vision in my head that I would put on my backpack and topple over backwards!

I’m very happy with it and can’t wait to start using it! For now, enjoy some pictures of me wearing it!

Just one more thing – I need to give it a name! Any suggestions? :)

Previous 3 Months Until I Leave to Travel!
Next A Private Tour of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN

1. Chris
    April 19, 2011

Nice work on the purchase mate. Once you start getting all the gear it gets even more exciting I think.

Whats next on the to buy list?

April 19, 2011

Definitely, the more things I get the more real it makes it and more excited I get!

SO much! Um, I want to get a kindle, some lenses for my camera, and a P&S camera too!

2. Jennifer from @TwoYearsOff
    April 19, 2011

We picked that one too! Love the Exos 46L because it’s one of the lightest internal frame backpacks on the market. I agree with you about the colors — I didn’t want a backpack that would make me stick out like a sore thumb.

Congrats!!

April 19, 2011

Yay!! I’m glad to hear you love it too! Any downsides to it?!

I did notice immediately how much lighter it was compared to the other packs I tried on. I hope to have a long and loving relationship with it! :)

3. Red
    April 19, 2011

Osprey makes good stuff, wise choice! It should last you your entire journey and beyond. I’ve never named one of my backpacks…haha, no help there!

April 21, 2011

Yeah, the guy in the shop said they were one of the best companies to go for, so hopefully it will last me a long time! :)

4. Scott
    April 20, 2011

Lauren,

Excellent pack and at such a great price. I have searched and searched for a pack that suits my unique purpose and have yet to find a single one.

Osprey is a very popular brand here in the
    States, so I’m sure you will not be disappointed.

Safe travels……

April 21, 2011

Thanks Scott!

Hopefully you will find one soon – I was beginning to give up hope! I literally started looking in February and only just managed to find one now!

I’ve only heard good things about Osprey.. :)

5. Mike Lenzen
    April 20, 2011

Awesome, we’re headed to Saskatoon (3 hr drive) to look at packs this Thursday. Like you, we are looking at technical hiking backpacks, Osprey’s are top on our list.

April 21, 2011

I could really tell the difference in quality for Osprey as soon as I put it on! The fact that they have a lifetime guarantee on their packs really puts your mind at ease too.

6. Miko
    April 20, 2011

Nice choice! I got the Osprey Talon 44 a few months ago and couldn’t be happier. Pick a waterproof p&s. Gives you more options in shooting. :)

April 21, 2011

That’s funny! My final choice was between the one I got and the Talon 44!

Waterproof P&S – Good idea! I’ll start looking for one.

7. Sheryll
    April 20, 2011

WOOO! You look so pretty! So exciting. If I had a backpack, I’d have to name is some ridiculous drag queen name, like Paige Turner or Blanche or something like that LOL!

April 21, 2011

Thanks Sheryll! Haha I’m going to have to name it something obscure! :D Blanche – LOL!

8. Jaime
    April 20, 2011

Great buy… looks like its the perfect size for you. Mine is 40L but extend to 50L if needed. Plus I love the color…lol that has a lot to do with it too.

April 21, 2011

I know, I’ve gotta look good with it haha! Most important! It does feel like the perfect size – we were meant to be hahahaha.

9. tom
    April 20, 2011

Hey, make sure you look after your new friend. I wrote a post recently about how upset I was after throwing a rucksack away, after all your backpack is your most loyal travelling companion!

if it was my backpack i would call is Ossie :)

10. tom
    April 20, 2011

if it was my backpack i would call is Ossie

April 21, 2011

That’s true, it’s gonna have to take me all around the world! I shall take good care of it hahaha.

Ossie – I like that! :)

11. Micah
    April 20, 2011

Awesome pick! It’s just the right size…

April 21, 2011

Thanks Micah, I’m really happy with it!

12. Gaby
    April 20, 2011

That backpack is PERFECT! It seems really sturdy…even though its so small! Congrats on it! :D

April 21, 2011

Yes it is, it’s really well made! I love it! :D

13. Michael Hodson
    April 21, 2011

if you think you love your pack now… check back in 6-9 months after lugging it around. It will be like a member of your family. Of all my earthly possessions (pretty small club of items now), it is only behind my passport as the “I’d be SO pissed if it was stolen” item.

April 23, 2011

It’s my baby! I sleep with it in my bed every night.

14. jill- Jack and JIll Travel
    April 23, 2011

I have an Osprey too (a Talon) so far I love that backpack. Good choice.

April 23, 2011

Awesome! Cheers Jill :)

15. Kim
    April 25, 2011

Brian has the man-version of that pack and he LOVES it. It is a great pack and has held up to much wear and tear. Good choice! I can’t help you with the name, but feel free to call it Kim. No, really, I’m okay with it. ;)

May 27, 2011

Hahahaha, that would be a bit creepy, no? :) Glad to hear that he loves it!

16. Fidel
    April 25, 2011

I definitely think that choosing the right backpack is harder than choosing where to travel, lol. I always feel like I never pack enough, and then I wind up packing too much, so I never know if I have the right backpack or not. One day, I’m just going to pack two pairs of pants, two t-shorts, shorts, and sneakers and set off.

May 27, 2011

Arghhh, definitely – I’m dreading deciding what to pack, and I know for sure I’ll take way more than I need!

17. Monica
    April 26, 2011

good choice. I love the Osprey backpacks. My boyfriend bought a similar one and I was very jealous!

Here was my experience of buying a backpack:

Tough times!

May 27, 2011

So glad to hear that so many people like them! Love your post on it – so funny!

18. Vi
    May 2, 2011

Never heard about Osprey, but will check it next time I’ll need backpack.

May 27, 2011

Yeah definitely do – I’ve heard they’re one of the best!

19. Johnny Drako
    December 28, 2011

So, now that you’ve had quite a time with your Osprey, are you still loving it?

I just began looking at these and am loving the Osprey but there’s a Gregory I also have my eye on. A pound heavier but more pockets / separation of space.

20. Edward Cash
    January 11, 2013

So, do you know how to sew? If yes, you could have made your own backpack!

I did and it was amazingly easy. Even to do it by hand. It just happened to take a bit longer by using a needle and thread, though :(

I have to ask what do backpackers generally look for in packs? I’m hoping to start up a small business making/designing/selling backpacks and other various things pertaining to ‘adventuring.’

January 11, 2013

I got a D in textiles at school so it would be a terrible idea for me to sew a backpack!

I wanted a pack that was around 40-45 litres, that was quite skinny (a personal preference, because I am…), front loading or top loading didn’t bother me too much, and a lifetime guarantee… Basically anything that looked super durable because I would be using it almost daily for years and years… Mine has lasted 18 months from being chucked all over the place and is still in great condition, so I’d probably always buy an Osprey in the future…

And yep, my pack has sternum straps. Not that I ever run with my backpack… or use them ever.

21. Edward Cash
    January 11, 2013

Another thing, does your pack not have sternum straps? I’m not quite sure how they work out for females… but I do know that they help with men. When I run with my pack it stays tight against my back due to them.