I have to say, nothing has caused me so much stress during the planning stages of my trip as trying to work out what to bring with me has.
I am a serial overpacker – I always have been and so I was dreading having to make the decision on what to bring. To minimise anxiety, I want to be prepared for EVERY little thing that could possibly happen. For example, a few years ago I visited Los Angeles for a week. On said trip, I brought with me an enormous suitcase, filled with something like 25 possible outfits. Yes, for a ONE week trip! Even I know it’s ridiculous. But yet I still did it…
So trying to be ruthless for this just about killed me.
I still know I’ve overpacked, but I don’t want to limit myself to any less than this. I can always send stuff home if I find it’s too much when I’m out there.
Here’s what I’m taking with me:
- A pair of long trousers
- Pair of 3/4 lengths
- Shorter shorts
- TINY shorts to sleep in.
- 2 long sleeved tops
- 1 cardigan
- 3 tank tops
- 2 strap tops
- 1 short sleeved top
- pretty scarf!
- I’m also taking a dress with me which isn’t shown.
The hardest part for me was actually narrowing down which swimwear to take… I normally take more bikinis away with me on holiday than I do underwear, and have been known to take 20 pairs for a 2 week holiday…
- Pretty pink bikini
- Pretty flowery bikini
- 2 pairs of board shorts. (Probably unnecessary but I ADORE them and want to take them)
- My running shoes
- Flip flops
- Hat (which may also be unnecessary but I LOVE IT and wear it everyday)
- Sunglasses (which I expect to lose within about 10 minutes of leaving. Seriously)
Aaaand my underwear and socks!
- 13″ Macbook Pro with charger
- Super rugged case for my Macbook — I can highly recommend this case, you can throw your laptop around all over the place and it’ll still remain safe.
- Iphone with USB charger. I didn’t unlock my phone before leaving so this will just be used to connect to Wifi networks.
- Kindle Keyboard 3G with charger — this version of Kindle is great for travellers as it includes FREE global 3G.
- Canon 550D with charger.
- 18-35mm lens.
- 55-250mm lens.
- 50mm f/1.8 lens.
- Canon Powershot SX220 with charger and case.
- Memory card case with 5 spare SD cards.
- 1TB external hard drive – It’s kinda big, but it’s not too heavy so it’ll do.
- Worldwide adapter plug.
I’ll preface this by saying that I am the BIGGEST hypochondriac in the world. A few years ago I would be taking an entire pharmacy with me on this trip, but I think I’ve managed to narrow it down reasonably well..
- 5 months worth of malaria tablets. I wondered whether it was necessary to take them to SE Asia with me. My mum wouldn’t let me go without. I condensed them all into a tiny pill bottle so they don’t take up much space.
- First aid kit
- Travel sickness pills. A lot of them. I get motion sickness in swimming pools!
- Rehydration sachets
- Rescue Remedy – in case I experience Fear.
- Make up – Eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara.
- 5 months worth of contact lenses – This is the thing I’m most bothered about. I chose dailies over monthlies, which means they are taking up a LOT of space. But the dailies were half the price, and I lose/drop them so many times that I’d be screwed with monthlies. I guess as I use them up they’ll take up less and less space..
- Tangle Teezer hairbrush
- lots of hairbands and hair clips
- 2 solid shampoo bars
- 1 bar of soap
- Diva cup
- Suntan lotion
- Insect repellent
- Razor with spare blades
- Antibacterial handwash
- Travel detergent
Random bits –
- Small bag to keep laundry in
- Travel towel
- Sleep sheet
- Money belt
- Duct tape
- Small notebook
- Diary – It’s SO beautiful, I love it!
- Few pens
And here is everything altogether!
And all of this fits into my 46l backpack! I am also taking with me a 20l daypack, and a pretty camera bag, which rolls up and fits in my daypack.
And that’s it!
So, tell me that I’m taking too much stuff! Is there anything I really need to cut out? Anything major that I’m forgetting?! Let me know… :)