Month 24: Travel Summary and Statistics

Yosemite National Park

Two years.

When I first left England, I wasn’t sure I would make it two days let alone two years. I was afraid of everything, I’d never travelled before and had never been outside of Europe or the US. And yes, I’d never eaten rice or eggs.

My friends held bets on how long it would be until I was home and took great delight in telling me that I was going to die.

And now, 41 countries and two years later, I’m still going strong and I’m happiest I’ve ever been. The fact that I’ve fallen in love with this lifestyle and somehow manage to scrape together enough money to keep me on the road for, well, as long as I like blows my mind on a daily basis.

I feel so incredibly proud and grateful and I can’t believe I’ve made it this far.

This month has been one of my favourites and I’m sure it’s no coincidence that it’s a month where I moved and did very little.

It all began with a horrendous 36 hour travel day from Saigon to Los Angeles, a travel day that began at 2am. It was a day where I was handed a bag of raw radishes as a snack every single hour on my flight and a day where I saw a lady help her child pee in a drinking water fountain on my layover in Shanghai.

Let’s just say that I was glad I was travelling alone.

Venice Beach, Los Angeles

I haven’t often suffered from jetlag over the two years I’ve been travelling but in Los Angeles it hit me hard. I had a ton of work to do, I was in the process of applying for an amazing job and all I could manage to do was nap.

Was I burnt out? Was it the jet lag? Did I simply just not care any more?

Whatever it was, hanging out in a gorgeous beachside apartment in Los Angeles was the perfect way to pretend I had no responsibilities or commitments. I ate from food trucks, I bought a 1kg block of cheese, I drank pints of tap water and discovered the difference between beaches in the US and Southeast Asia when I ran down to the ocean at 6am for a morning swim…

The Pacific Ocean is pretty cold.

Venice Beach, Los Angeles

More than any other place I’ve visited over the past two years, I received the most grief for visiting Los Angeles. I genuinely love the city though, especially when I’m outside of downtown and hanging out in Venice and Santa Monica.

I could definitely spend a few months living there.

After Los Angeles, I headed up to San Francisco, a brand new city for me. I was intrigued to see what I’d make of it — so many people had insisted that I visit and assured me that I’d adore it but I was still a little skeptical. I can count the number of big cities I like on one hand.

Hills in San Francisco

I needn’t have worried — I had a fantastic time! Sure, I wasn’t a fan of the downtown area and much preferred hanging out by the water, but given how fantastic the weather was there was no way I couldn’t fall in love with the city.

In San Francisco I was all about being a tourist.

I visited the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lauren at the Golden Gate Bridge

I met up with my friend Gina, who I hadn’t seen for over five years, and we drove around Napa Valley for a day (where I couldn’t drink any wine because I have not yet got back into the habit of carrying my ID everywhere with me).

I visited Alcatraz on the only day where the weather sucked.

Sunny Alcatraz

Sunny AlcatrazRainy Alcatraz

… Rainy Alcatraz

The absolute highlight, however, was my day spent hiking in Yosemite National Park.

Gina, who I mentioned above, was free to take me hiking through the park for a day and I had an amazing time. In fact, I knew the day was going to be perfect when she suggested heading to McDonald’s for breakfast.

Yosemite was definitely one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been.

Yosemite National Park

Next up, was Seattle, another brand new city for me, where I was excited to be reunited with Dave after ten days of solo travel. We spent our week in Seattle relaxing with friends, meeting up with travel bloggers, having BBQs and ice cream and enjoying the fantastic weather.

Isn’t Seattle supposed to be rainy?

Seattle skyline

And then, Portland, my new home for the next month.

My new home that, like Seattle, was also supposed to be rainy but actually seems to be having some kind of crazy heatwave.

The weather has been glorious for the entire time we’ve been here.

For once, it didn’t feel like I had been moving too fast through the US, though this was probably due to the fact that I was ignoring my ever-increasing pile of work and enjoying actually travelling for once. In Portland, it was time to kick my ass into gear and start getting things done.

Two weeks in and I’m still working on it.

…But at least I have the most amazing house in the world to do so.

Lauren's favourite house EVER

Onto the statistics for the month!

month 24 travel map

Countries Visited: 1

The United States.

Cities Visited: 4

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland.

Distance travelled: 2148km

Number of flights: 2

Number of buses: 1

Number of visits to Whole Foods: 5

Number of times Dave has threatened to grow a beard: 19

Amount of pickled items consumed: 4

Number of awesome yet creepy toe shoes purchased: 1

Lauren loves Vibrams

Why is everyone staring at my feet?

Amount spent:

Los Angeles: £135.33 over 4 nights = £33.83 ($51.62) per night

San Francisco: £306.65 over 5 nights = £61.33 ($93.60) per night

Seattle: £98.78 over 6 nights = £16.46 ($25.12) per night

Portland: £504.75 over 14 nights = £36.05 ($55.02) per night

Total amount spent: £895.51 = $1367.85

Why so cheap (for the US)? This is mainly due to my lack of accommodation costs this month. My apartment in Los Angeles was paid for by my parents as a birthday present and we stayed with friends in Seattle. Because we’re renting an apartment for a month in Portland, our accommodation costs are relatively low ($750 each for the month).

The next month:

travels for month 25

After having so much fun in North America, I’ve decided to stay in the area much longer than originally planned so that I can see even more of the US and Canada. I have ten days left in Portland and then I’ve decided to extend the time I have with my parents for a few days and head up to Vancouver Island with them.

From Vancouver, I’ll fly to Toronto to meet up with one of my favourite travel buddies. We’ve met up previously in Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand and now I’ll get to see her at home in Canada! After Toronto, I’ll heading back down into the US to explore some of the east coast. At the moment, I’m planning on spending time in Boston, New York City and Washington DC.

As a final note, to celebrate that I’ve now been travelling for two years, I’m going to be posting round-up posts every day next week. I’ll be talking about my favourite countries, the best beaches, my travel highlights, my most dramatic incidents, how much two years of travel has cost me and more. If you have any round-up ideas you’d like to see included then leave a comment below and I’ll see what I can do!

-Lauren.

Looking to follow along with my travels through my monthly summaries? You can read the previous month’s summary here, the next month’s summary here, or head on over to the monthly summary page to read from the very beginning!

Previous Never Ending Footsteps 3.0
Next My Favourite Countries After Eight Years of Travel

1. Caro
    July 20, 2013

YOU’RE COMING TO CANADA! Sorry, I had to insist on shouting. Wondering what you’ll think of Toronto, it’s the city every Canadian (except Torontonians) love to hate! You’ll really have to come a bit up north to Ottawa (where we live) or Montréal, I think you’d love it! Happy 2 year anniversary!

July 21, 2013

I’m pretty excited :-). I wasn’t aware that a lot of Canadians don’t like Toronto — now I’m also interested to see how I like it! Sadly, I won’t be able to see as much of Canada as I would like so Ottawa will have to wait for now.

2. Ashley
    July 20, 2013

Just came across your blog and I LOVE it! I hope you enjoy your time in the Eastern US. That is where I am originally from and I love it. Do you have a favorite place yet?
    ~Ashley (A Cute Angle)

July 21, 2013

Thanks, Ashley! :- )

My favourite place is probably Portland — I’ve never eaten so much amazing food before. It’s incredible!

3. Jenn
    July 20, 2013

If you need any suggestions for DC or NYC let me know :) I live right outside of DC and only 3 ish hours from NYC so I know both fairly well :) Look forward to reading about your upcoming trips :)

July 21, 2013

Hi Jenn,

Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. I haven’t done much research at all :-)

4. Cat of Sunshine and Siestas
    July 20, 2013

Aw, boo! I would have loved to see what you thought of my hometown, Chicago. Enjoy America and give her a big hug for me!

July 21, 2013

Chicago was high on my list but I didn’t want to move any faster so it had to be cut. Another time! :-)

5. Andrew Darwitan
    July 20, 2013

Totally looking forward to the round-up posts! =)

July 22, 2013

Thanks, Andrew! I’m looking forward to writing about my favourite places :-)

6. Dani
    July 20, 2013

Do you already know when you’ll be in NYC? Jess and I would love to meet you and your fabulous new shoes for a walk around town or some drinks :D

7. Roisin
    July 20, 2013

I loved San Francisco too, it’s been years since I was there though. And I love your photo of Seattle – I’ve always wanted to go to there.

And congrats on two years of travel :)

8. Kate
    July 20, 2013

We loved Portland. Had 8 days there recently enroute from Hawaii to NYC and now definitely want to put it on our rotation of places to stay for a month or so. I can relate to getting hit with jetlag in LA since most times I go through LA it’s off a flight from New Zealand.

9. memographer
    July 20, 2013

41 countries in two years! Oh my! I wish I could do that!
    Love your new blog’s layout, Lauren!

10. Earl Varona
    July 20, 2013

When are you coming to Washington, DC? There’s so much to do and see here. Let me know if you need any tips or if you need anyone to show you around. :)

11. Stephanie
    July 20, 2013

I agree that travel is tiring, you have done so well travelling full time for two whole years! I bet you have forgotten what it’s like having a permanent base!

I’m so jealous that you have a 1kg block of cheese in your possession. Asia really needs to start producing dairy products! It’s so hard travelling in South East Asia when you have a cheese addiction!

Oh and what the hell are those on your feet? lol. Do they hint towards a new hobby?

12. Beth
    July 21, 2013

Great to hear you’re loving the US! Also wished to see you in my hometown–Chicago… but maybe next time :)

Congrats on making it 2 years, and here’s to many more!

13. becky hutner
    July 22, 2013

I was wondering what you’d think of my home of LA & am so glad you enjoyed it. What’s with all the haters?? Curious about where exactly you stayed. I’m a Venice girl myself, 10 yrs strong!

I’m originally from Toronto so definitely look forward to your impressions. It’s impossible for me to give an unbiased opinion but I personally love the city for its multicultural population (read: endless opportunity for lauren vs. food) & historic neighborhoods (kensington market, chinatown, queen west, little italy, the annex, cabbagetown, leslieville, the beaches, the list goes on!). Enjoy the rest of your North American adventure Lauren!

14. Kristen
    July 24, 2013

DC is awesome as long as you avoid the places that all the guidebooks are probably telling you to go – Georgetown (cute, admittedly, but only for an hour or two), Dupont, Chinatown, and Downtown. Crawling with tourists and Hillterns (summer interns who come to work on Capitol Hill – aka the worst form of human for Washingtonians). Instead for food and nights out hit up Logan Circle/14th St, U St, or Columbia Heights/Mount Pleasant. For a wonderful summer afternoon, I would suggest getting snacks from a grocery store or farmer’s market and doing a picnic in Meridian Hill Park. Absolutely lovely!

Most important piece of advice – STAND RIGHT WALK LEFT (on the escalators in the Metro). There is no easier way to enrage a Washingtonian than by standing like an idiot in the middle of the escalator. :-)

15. Ava
    July 25, 2013

I’m glad you like Portland so much! I live on the other side of the Columbia, in Vancouver, WA. You met my friend Hsuan Hsuan (Shin Shin) the other day I see. Great gal, and also a Vancouverite! Make sure you go to a Timbers game if you really want the Portland experience. It’ll show you the passion we have here. Powell’s Books is a must, if you love to read. Email me if you are short on a lunch date. Always love a good conversationalist and food:)

16. TammyOnTheMove
    August 1, 2013

Those toe shoes looks freaky, but awesome. I want some! I saw a review of them on TV recently, and they were tested by runners. The testers were quit impressed. So what is your verdict? :-)

August 2, 2013

I love my Vibrams! They’re genuinely the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn and I refuse to take them off, even when inside. I’m still trying to work out how to run in them though… :-)