Month 9: Travel Summary and Statistics

koh nok beach

I can’t believe I’ve now been travelling for almost a year!

At the end of my last update I was getting ready to fly back to Thailand where I was planning on spending a month on one of the islands. I couldn’t decide between my original plan of Koh Lanta or my new idea of Koh Phi Phi.

Although I feel like I didn’t really give Lanta a chance, I went with Phi Phi. I feel comfortable and happy there, and I knew I would have an amazing time.

phi phi beach

I wasn’t wrong!

I spent two weeks on Phi Phi and soon settled into a great routine that worked perfectly for me: I would wake up, wander around the restaurants looking for somewhere to have breakfast before returning to my room to get some work done. At 3pm, I would force myself to stop working and head to the beach where I would sunbathe, swim and drink beer. I’d head out for an amazing seafood barbecue meal for dinner, grab a few drinks and then head back to my room to watch a movie.

Yes, I went to Phi Phi and DIDN’T party! It’s possible.

phi phi beach

However, after two weeks solid of staring at my laptop screen I needed a break.

I wanted to get away from my laptop. From the internet. From everything.

So I did some research and found an island that could offer exactly that: No tourists. Beautifully empty beaches. And most importantly, no internet.

Koh Yao Noi.

It was paradise. Just look at the amazing view from my guesthouse balcony!

view of phang nga

I spent my time reading books on my balcony, sunbathing on the beach, riding a scooter around the island, renting a kayak and going on a boat trip around the gorgeous Phang Nga National Park.

It was the best week of my time in Thailand and here are a few photos from my Thai island paradise:

koh yao noi had yai beach

koh nok beach

koh hong phang nga bay thailand

After being devastated when I left Chiang Mai a few months ago, I was now devastated to be heading back there! This wasn’t without adventure and drama, however, as I ended up being in Phuket airport when the Indonesia earthquake and tsunami hit, which made for my most dramatic post yet.

Surviving my first natural disaster, and the crowds of loud tourists in the airport, I made it to Chiang Mai just in time for Songkran!

songkran chiang mai 2012

songkran chiang mai 2012

It was AMAZING! I was running around all day with a huge smile on my face, feeling like I was ten years old again! It was just what I needed to recover from my ordeal, and was some of the most fun I’ve ever had… Even if I did end up swallowing fifty litres of moat water!

I spent the last day of the month on a border run to Burma, where my driver drove off and forgot about me. Yes, really. Fortunately, he came back thirty minutes later…

It always happens to me!

Onto the statistics for the month!

Distance travelled: 1794 km

Countries visited: Thailand, Burma

Cities Visited: Phuket Town, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Yao Noi, Chiang Mai, Tachilek

Number of photos taken: 2163

Number of flights: 2

Number of trains: 0

Number of buses: 2

Money spent:

Thailand: £653£21.06 a day = $1036

The next month:

I have two more weeks left in Chiang Mai (and Thailand!), which I’m still struggling to come to terms with. Having spent five months in Thailand, it now feels like home and I’m going to be incredibly sad to leave it behind.

However, on the 30th April I’ll be heading off to a brand new country: Cambodia! I’m really excited that I’ll be travelling solo again, especially to a country that I’ve wanted to visit for SO long!

On the 14th May I’ll be boarding a plane and heading over to Europe for a few months! Going to Europe after South-East Asia was never in my original plans but if you’ve read my site for any amount of time, you won’t be surprised to hear this!

As well as a week back home in London to catch up with family and friends, I have a whole series of exciting adventures planned for my time there. I’m putting the finishing touches to my itinerary over the next few weeks and I can’t wait to share it with you!

Looking to follow along with my travels through my monthly summaries? You can read the previous month’s summary here, the next month’s summary here, or head on over to the monthly summary page to read from the very beginning!

Previous Tsunami 2012: I Thought I Was Going To Die
Next ...And then the brakes failed.

1. Nadir
    April 17, 2012

Wow! Koh Yao Noi looks like paradise on earth! I’ll definitely include it on my wish list!

Can’t wait for your posts on Cambodia!

Nadir

April 18, 2012

It was definitely paradise for me! Of course, with the no internet, hardly any other people, few restaurants/bars it wouldn’t be for others, and I hope it stays that way! ;)

2. George
    April 17, 2012

It would seem another amazing month Lauren! I am so jealous of your life. I’m thinking of planning something similar myself (grad job market is so competitive and all I really wanna do is travel) but I’m worried about money. How much did you save before and are you making any money (from writing etc) on the road to top it up. What are your plans? x

April 21, 2012

I spent 5 years saving up and saved about £25,000 before I left. I now make all my money from advertising on various different sites I own, so fortunately haven’t had to dip into my savings much!

• George
        May 1, 2012

OMG wow that is a lot of money! Eep I definitely need to get on the saving campaign. I’ve been reading your old posts on tips so I know what to do ;) x

3. Jaime
    April 17, 2012

I hate you & hate you & hate… lol only cus you are at some of the most amazing beaches ever and doing what I would love to be doing right now. Instead I am in India… and well you know how I am feeling about it. I know down the road I will be glad I came and experienced but yeah… these photos make my mouth just melt. I hope the beaches in GOA are as pretty as this. Good luck in Cambodia… heard many amazing things about it and congrats on 9 months… ahh almost a year!

April 21, 2012

Hahaha, you keep telling me you are jealous of me being on beaches but then choose to spend your time in non-beachy places! I think the beaches of Goa will be amazing, and you WILL come to SE Asia soon and experience the beaches here! ;)

4. DebbZ
    April 17, 2012

I’ve never heard about Koh Yao Noi, it looks really stunning !!
    I can’t wait your story about Cambodia :)

April 21, 2012

I kind of hope it stays that way, and was really tempted to not mention the name of it!

5. Melissa
    April 17, 2012

Just came across your blog through another blogger who happened to retweet this post… I am officially in LOVE with your little space on the internet! You are literally living my dream. Can’t wait to read more about your travels and live vicariously through your pictures until I’m able to pick up and do the same thing you are! :)

Awww, thanks so much Melissa! Hope you get to travel soon! :D

6. Jennifer
    April 18, 2012

I am so glad I stumbled across your blog a few weeks before you left. I have been planning and saving for my RTW trip forever, and you are slowly making me realize that maybe I shouldn’t plan. Anyway I have to know, what type of camera do you use? And where did you stay with that amazing view. I am loving Thailand and I have never been there but I must go! Safe Travels!

April 21, 2012

YES. You really shouldn’t plan. Really. I planned my first four weeks and hated it because I couldn’t go where I want when I wanted. I threw away my plans after that and have never been happier!

I use a Canon 550D.

7. Amanda @ Farsickness
    April 18, 2012

I’m trying to decide between Lanta and Phi Phi as well. Lanta was winning out because I don’t really want the party atmosphere but now I may have to reconsider! Looks lovely.

April 21, 2012

It’s so easy to escape the party atmosphere in Phi Phi and I had a lovely time there :)

8. Jess
    April 18, 2012

Just left Cambodia – hope you LOVE it as much as I did! The people are so incredibly nice. Can’t wait to read where you’re going.

April 21, 2012

Yay! I hear only good things about Cambodia so I’m sure I’ll love it too! :)

9. Mhikai
    April 19, 2012

Wow this is a very nice place.. I just dream to go to this place and I hope I can make it by next year..

10. Vicky
    April 19, 2012

Truly gorgeous photos. Seems like paradise!

Thanks, Vicky!

11. Lissie
    April 19, 2012

Cambodia is fun – but have you not considered Burma? Its probably the ideal time to go – in a year or 2 it will be a mini-Thailand – but reports now is that people still like to see visitors there

April 21, 2012

Hi Lissie, I only have two weeks to visit somewhere in SE Asia and I’d much rather spend longer in Burma than 2 weeks! Planning on visiting there at the end of this year though :)

12. A Montrealer Abroad
    April 20, 2012

Wow, that first photo is absolutely gorgeous! But sometimes it’s good to come home a little bit to recharge the batteries, so we can better enjoy the rest of our journey!

April 21, 2012

Thanks so much! I don’t plan on ever going home for very long! :)

13. Waegook Tom
    April 21, 2012

Cambodia! I’ve only heard amazing things about the country. How long are you planning to be there for? Heard great things about Kampot :)

Can’t wait to see what you get up to there, Lauren. Deep-fried spiders? Mmm!

April 21, 2012

I’ll only be there for 2 weeks so I’m already struggling to narrow down where to visit! I wish I had longer!

14. Kieu ~ GQ trippin
    April 22, 2012

Your taxi guy LEFT YOU?! Bahahaha.. I’m not surprised anymore. ;)

April 23, 2012

I KNOW. Seriously…

15. Elle
    April 22, 2012

Your photos are amazing! What type of camera do you have? It looks like I will have to upgrade soon!!

April 23, 2012

I answered that a few comments above you….

16. Rachel
    April 24, 2012

Wow those pictures are beautiful! I really hope to hit up Thailand sometime very soon! Enjoying reading your blog! :)

17. Jeremy Branham
    April 24, 2012

Great summary of your trip. I really like the look of Koh Yao Noi. Could’ve done without the near death experiences though. :)

18. Globetrottergirls
    April 29, 2012

Great to hear that you’re going to Cambodia – we LOVED the country – our favorite in South East Asia, I think. Hope you like it as much as we did – even though you’re traveling solo again ;-) (Only temporary though, we assume?)

19. Houston Siding
    July 27, 2012

No words can describe the beauty of the places that you have visited. All of them are pieces of heaven here on earth. I just wish I will have the time and finances in order to go to that places. I am really lucky that I happen to stumble upon your website.

Click here