I Just Booked a One-Way Ticket Out of England

Yes, you heard right! After spending months browsing for cheap tickets online, I finally bit the bullet and decided to make this trip official. There’s no turning back now! I bought my plane ticket!

On the 17th July I will be landing in Dubrovnik, in Croatia.

Dubrovnik harbour

Why Croatia?

I knew I wanted to start my trip in Eastern Europe, and I’ve agonised for months over the starting city to choose. Croatia is somewhere that has appealed to me for a long time. It has beautiful Mediterranean beaches, historical Roman architecture, and 1185 islands! I knew I wanted to take a route through Europe that would lead me to Moscow so I could have a Trans-Siberian adventure, and after deciding the countries I would like to visit are Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, and Ukraine, it made perfect sense to have Croatia first on the list.

What do I Plan on Doing in Croatia?

I plan on spending around two to three weeks, but nothing will be finalised so I’ll be free to stay for much longer if I wish. I plan on getting around the country by bus, and occasionally train. By starting in the coastal city of Dubrovnik, I can slowly make my way up the coastline towards Split, where I will stay and relax for a few days.

One of the must-see destinations on my itinerary is the Plitvice Lakes — probably the place I am most looking forward to visiting in Croatia.

No visit to Croatia would be complete without a stop in the town of Pula, famed for having the sixth largest surviving Roman amphitheatre, and I’ve discovered that the annual Pula Film Festival will be held when I plan on visiting!

In Pula, there is Brijuni National Park, a group of fourteen islands, where I plan on spending some time. On the islands, you can visit a safari park and over 200 dinosaur footprints have been spotted too!

The final stop on my Croatian adventure will be the capital of Croatia, Zagreb. From Croatia I will be moving onto Slovenia, and having even more adventures!

I can’t wait!

Previous As One Chapter Closes, Another Begins
Next The Scenic Drive Across Mallorca To Cap De Formentor

1. Alan Grant
    March 31, 2011

Bring me back some dinosaur bones!

March 31, 2011

I don’t think they have any bones… :)

2. Andrew
    March 31, 2011

Croatia is a beautiful place. I had the best week there a few years ago. One of the great parts of the boat trip was swimming straight from the boat in warm salty(so floating is easy) clear to the sand water.
    Looking forward to the stories, especially those about the Trans-Siberian.

April 1, 2011

Hi Andrew! Thanks for commenting!
      And wow, that sounds like an amazing experience! :)

3. Dalene - Hecktic Travels
    March 31, 2011

I knew nothing more of Croatia then just where it was (kind of) on a map! Wow – those pictures are breathtaking…going to have to add that to the list.

Congrats on the big purchase! That is a huge step!

April 1, 2011

I’m glad the pictures helped to inspire you, it looks like a beautiful country! :)

4. Scott
    April 1, 2011

So excited for you! I have been twice and both times have missed out on Plitvice, please enjoy it for me! Also, I can’t recommend Hvar enough for a few days in the sun. Actually hoping to spend a nice chunk of the summer of 2012 there.

April 1, 2011

Awesome, I will check out Hvar, thanks for the recommendation!

5. Kieron
    April 4, 2011

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome! Buying that first ticket is a big step and brings such a great feeling.. you’ll have a great time in Croatia! :)

April 4, 2011

I know!! I thought I would be terrified, but I’m actually more excited than ever, I can’t WAIT!

6. Sunee
    April 4, 2011

Congratulations on making it official! I must say, Croatia never featured on my travel plans, but looking at those pictures I think that should change! So excited for your part :)

April 4, 2011

Thank you Sunee! I think it should change too, it’s a beautiful country! Glad I helped to inspire you to visit at some point :)

7. Sarah
    April 4, 2011

Nothing like a one-way ticket you make you feel like you’re really throwing caution to the wind! Well done on diving in, I look forward to reading about your adventures :)

April 5, 2011

It’s definitely made everything feel a lot more real now! Scared and excited :D

8. Anthony
    April 4, 2011

The place looks totally gorgeous! Well done booking the ticket :)

April 5, 2011

Thanks Anthony! Now to just remain calm for the 100 or so days left to go! :)

9. Mike Lenzen
    April 5, 2011

Congratulations on taking the plunge. It’s very exciting. Your departure date is almost identical to our. Who knows, it may be identical to ours in the end. I think it’s time I start looking for some tickets.

April 5, 2011

Oh, that’s awesome! I’m sure we can share tips as we both get nearer and nearer to our departure dates! Where’s first on your list? :)

• Mike Lenzen
        April 5, 2011

We are still putting the itinerary together, currently looks like Ecuador via New York, Miami, and Columbia.

April 5, 2011

Wow, fantastic! It broke my heart to have to decide not to do South America on this trip, but I’ll have to live vicariously through you instead! Sounds like you’ll have an amazing time :)

• Jasmine
        April 26, 2011

Croatia and Slovenia only ? the whole Yugoslavia amazing every country is breathtaking ! since you are visiting Croatia take a little trip to SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO
        Serbia is the most beautiful country I have ever seenm Its amazing really and the sea in montenegro is amazing! dont miss Serbia (Belgarde, tara national park,Budva and lots more) I visited the whole yugoslavia last year and I am visiting it again this year its just to much to see there :)

10. Christy @ Technosyncratic
    April 7, 2011

I’m so excited for you! We’ve been hoping to travel through Eastern Europe for ages, and I think we’ll make it over there towards the end of this year. I’m looking forward to reading all about your adventures and getting some ideas. :)

April 8, 2011

Thanks Christy! It’s often overlooked but I can’t wait to experience it. Hopefully you’ll pick up some good tips! :)

11. Ian [EagerExistence]
    April 10, 2011

Congratulations on booking the ticket. I’ve only got a one-way ticket too.
    Wow, you’ve done your research on Croatia. I wouldn’t mind being that organised for a change.

April 10, 2011

It’s the only country I’ve actually researched thoroughly!! As it’s the first destination I want to be pretty prepared, so there’s less chance of a freak-out and everything going wrong! After that, who knows where I’m going and what I’m doing! :D

12. Jeremy Branham
    May 18, 2011

Croatia is a beautiful place! You will LOVE Plitvice (I have plenty of photos if you want a preview!). However, I would encourage you to get away from the coast and beaches and go inland as well. See some of the devastation from the war – it still exists!

13. Ad-lib Traveller
    June 17, 2012

I’ve never thought of Croatia as a place that I had to visit. This post just completely changed my mind. Fantastic photos, thank you for enlightening me and inspiring at the same time!